The Medical Assistant Certificate Program will educate multi-skilled professionals specifically to work in ambulatory settings performing administrative and clinical duties. The program’s graduate will have a mastery of a complex body of knowledge and specialized skills acquired from both formal education and practical experience providing competence to serve as standards for entry into the profession. By completing the program and achieving certification, the medical assistant program graduate will be prepared to directly influence the public’s health and well-being.
The objectives of the Medical Assistant Certificate Program are:
- Prepare competent entry-level medical assistants in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains.
- Provide academic assessment and development of critical thinking, effective communication, and personal and professional responsibility.
- To prepare students who are professional proficient to perform clinical and administrative duties of a medical assistant.
- Based on domain competencies established by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).
- To serve the needs of the communities of interest through continuous program assessment and improvement while monitoring the ever changing health-care environment.
The curriculum for the medical assisting certification includes three quarters of courses. After completion of the three quarters, the student is eligible to take the medical assisting certification exam. Clinical experiences are incorporated into the second and third quarter of the curriculum.
|010 - 099||Multipurpose courses, but not generally applicable to a Baccalaureate degree.|
|100 - 299||Basic lower division courses applicable to an Associate degree; may also apply to a Baccalaureate degree.|
|AHCJ 135||Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology and Lab|
|AHCJ 124||Introductory Medical Anthropology|
|HLCS 241||Medical Terminology|
|RELT 101||Jesus, Health, and Healing|
|GCMA 011||Introduction to Medical Assisting|
|GCMA 012||Fundamentals of Medical Assisting - Patient Care II|
|GCMA 015||Professionalism and Preparation for Certification|
|GCMA 013||The Medical Assistant in the Front Office|
|GCMA 014||Professionalism and Preparation for Certification|
|GCMA 016||Competence with the NHA Medical Assisting Certification Examination|