Nursing care is concerned with the basic needs of individuals related to physical, mental, social, spiritual, developmental, and cultural areas of their life. The Certified Nursing Assistant with appropriate education and clinical experience is capable of giving whole person nursing care under the supervision and delegation of the registered professional nurse in task which support nursing practice.
At the completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Maintain a proper whole person healing environment of the resident of the care setting.
- Report and observe observations related to providing whole person care.
- Provide assistance in personal hygiene.
- Assist with body movement and ambulation to nurture rehabilitative and supportive care.
- Assist with nutrition and elimination to nurture and maintain homeostasis within the resident.
- Identify and provide assistance with emergency situations.
- Assist the registered professional nurse in providing whole person care.
- Communicate with residents, family, and health care team in an effective and positive manner.
The curriculum for the Certified Nursing Assistant program includes three quarters of courses, spanning over a nine-month period. After completion of the three quarters, the student is eligible to write the nursing assisting certification exam. Clinical experiences are incorporated into the second and third quarter of the curriculum.
|010 - 099||Multipurpose courses, but not generally applicable to a Baccalaureate degree.|
|100 - 299||Basic lower division courses applicable to an Associate degree; may also apply to a Baccalaureate degree.|
|AHCJ 135||Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology and Lab|
|AHCJ 124||Introductory Medical Anthropology|
|HLCS 241||Medical Terminology|
|RELT 101||Jesus, Health, and Healing|
|GCHC 010||Introduction to Medical Assisting|
|GCMA 011||Health Care Communication for Whole Patient Care|
|GCMA 012||Fundamentals of Nursing Assisting|
|GCMA 013||Role of Nursing Assistant Working with Special Needs Patients|
|GCMA 014||Professionalism and Preparation for Certification|